A tasty cracker recipe can be hard to come by! here is a simply marvelously delicious recipe with several different variations. Taken from Mary Jane's Farm magazine.
Basic Farmhouse Crackers
1 1/2 c. flour (I used a mix of white and wheat)
1 1/2 t. cream of tartar
3/4 t. salt
3/4 t. baking soda
1/4 c. oil (they suggest grapeseed oil, I used olive oil)
1/2 c. water
1 med. egg
2 t. sugar
1 t. balsamic vinegar
1/4 c. toasted seseme seeds
1. Preheat oven to 350*. Lightly spray or wipe cookie sheet with oil.
2. In a medium bowl combine 1st 4 ingreds. and mix well.
3. Add oil and stir until mixture resembles coarse meal.
4. Add water and stir until dough forms.
5. In a small bowl, whisk together egg, sugar and vinegar. Set aside.
6. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface and roll out very thin. Brush with egg mixture and sprinkle with sesame seeds. Cut into squares with knife or cookie cutters to make any cracker shape you like. Transfer to baking sheet.
7. Bake for 15-20 minutes (depending upon the thickness and size of cracker) Transfer to racks for cooling.
Store crackers in an airtight container. If they ever pick up moisture and lose their crispness, just pop them into a 250* oven for a few minutes.
Sundried Tomato Basil Crackers
1/4 c. fresh basil
1/4 c. sundried tomatoes
2 T. olive oil
2 T. Parmesan cheese, grated
1/4 t. salt
1/4 t. pepper
In blender or food processor, add all ingreds. and mix well. Add mixture to dough after step 4 of basic cracker recipe and omit sesame seeds.
Tamari and Pumpkin Seed Crackers
1/4 c. tamari
1/2 c. pumpkin seeds, shelled.
In Step 6 of basic cracker recipe, brush dough with tamari instead of egg mixture and omit sesame seeds. After transferring crackers to baking sheet, decorate tops with pumpkin seeds.
2 T. fresh rosemary, chopped.
Add indred. to dough after step 4 of cracker recipe.
Garlic Dill crackers
2 med. garlic cloves, finely minced.
2 T. fresh dill, chopped.
Add ingred. to dough after step 4 of recipe and omit sesame seeds.
Happy cracker making, y'all! (and I sure do hope you try these out. I am tired out, typing this doosy. ;)